as well as a silver with Heymans in the three

as well as a silver with Heymans in the three

Postprzez lw789 » Śr mar 28, 2018 00:46

LONDON - Former champion Maria Sharapova saved six match points before falling to Angelique Kerber in the fourth round at Wimbledon on Tuesday, ending her bid to win a second title at the All England Club a decade after her first. Five-time champion Serena Williams, meanwhile, struggled to even hit the ball over the net in a doubles match with sister Venus and pulled out after only three games with what officials called a viral illness. Sharapova, a five-time major champion, saved one match point at 5-2 down in the third set and five more in the final game before hitting a backhand long on the seventh. That gave the ninth-seeded Kerber a stirring 7-6 (4), 4-6, 6-4 win on Centre Court in a match that lasted 2 hours, 37 minutes. "Its unbelievable," said the German, a semifinalist two years ago. "It was so tough (a) match. Every single set was so close. Marias a great player. I was just fighting, concentrating and focusing on myself. Im so happy to be in the quarters now." Kerber will next face 20-year-old Canadian star Eugenie Bouchard, the only woman to reach the semifinals this year at both the Australian Open and French Open. Bouchard beat Kerber in the fourth round at the French. Sharapova, who won her first Grand Slam title at Wimbledon in 2004 at the age of 17, was coming off her latest major championship at the French Open last month. "Its absolutely normal for people to have high expectations of me doing well in Grand Slam stages," Sharapova said. "I certainly do, as well. Today could have gone either way, and it didnt go my way." On a day when seven-time mens champion Roger Federer sailed into the quarterfinals, Serena was out of sorts from the moment the pre-match warmup began. She had trouble collecting tennis balls from the ball kids and missed completely on some practice strokes. The start of the second-round doubles against Kristina Barrois and Stefanie Voegele was put off for about 10 minutes while Serena sat in her chair and was examined by medical staff. In the third game, Serena hit four double-faults. She hit serves that bounced before reaching the net. Umpire Kader Nouni climbed down from his chair and walked over to speak to Serena. The sisters walked to the sideline holding hands, and the match was stopped. Serena wiped away tears as she left the court. The Wimbledon referees office and WTA said Serena had a viral illness. She left the grounds a few hours later in a tournament car with Venus. While Sharapova sought to dictate play with her big-swinging groundstrokes, Kerber played counter-attacking tennis and went for her shots when the opportunities came. The match featured high tension and intensity. Sharapovas shrieks grew louder and louder as the match wore on. Kerber went up 4-1 and saved two break points to lead 5-2 in the final set. She held a match point on Sharapovas serve, but the Russian hit a deep backhand that she couldnt handle. With Kerber serving for the match in the next game, Sharapova broke for 5-4. Then Kerber went up 0-40 on Sharapovas serve, but the Russian erased those three match points. Two more came and went. Sharapova twice earned game points but couldnt convert. Finally, on the sixth match point of the game, it ended with Sharapovas backhand error. Federer kept up his bid for a record eighth Wimbledon title by beating Tommy Robredo to reach the quarterfinals for the 12th time. Federer, who has not dropped a set in the tournament, overwhelmed the Spaniard 6-1, 6-1, 6-4 in just over 90 minutes. "All the things are happening that need to be happening to go deep in this tournament again," he said. Federers win set up an all-Swiss duel with Australian Open champion Stan Wawrinka, who beat Feliciano Lopez 7-6 (5), 7-6 (7), 6-3 to make it to the quarterfinals for the first time. Eighth-seeded Milos Raonic became the first Canadian man to reach the Wimbledon quarterfinals since Robert Powell in 1912, beating No. 10 Kei Nishikori of Japan 4-6, 6-1, 7-6 (4) 6-3. The first woman into the semifinals was No. 23 Lucie Safarova of the Czech Republic, who beat Ekaterina Makarova of Russia, 6-3 6-1. French Open runner-up Simona Halep breezed into the quarterfinals with a 6-3, 6-0 win over Zarina Diyas of Kazakhstan. Her next opponent will be 2013 finalist Sabine Lisicki of Germany, who overcame shoulder trouble to defeat Yaroslava Shvedova of Kazakhstan 6-3, 3-6, 6-4. ___ Brett Ritchie Jersey .ca. Mr. Fraser, It looks like Martin Brodeur is coming back to play for the Blues. I was wondering if you have any great stories or fond memories of your time on the ice with Brodeur - in the NHL, or maybe even the Olympics. Valeri Nichushkin Jersey . It all would have been for naught, however, had it not been for some clutch shooting in the fourth quarter by Kobe Bryant and a couple of equally critical hustle plays by Derek Fisher and Pau Gasol in the final minutes. http://www.thedallasstarshockey.com/din ... ey-jersey/. -- Jake Peavy arrived at Bostons spring training complex on Monday with a large white bandage covering his left index finger, the result of a weekend accident. Gump Worsley Jersey . Crawford hit his slam off Pirates starter Edinson Volquez to give San Francisco a four run lead in the fourth and they never looked back. Brandon Belt had three runs batted in as well. Bumgarner pitched all nine innings and allowed just four hits. Custom Dallas Stars Jerseys . Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine and Frank Thomas appeared to be on track to gain election from the Baseball Writers Association of America on Wednesday, and Craig Biggio could join them. EDINBURGH -- Meaghan Benfeito couldnt hide her disappointment. The Canadian diver had just made a critical mistake on her and partner Roseline Filions fourth attempt in the womens synchronized 10-metre platform final at the Commonwealth Games -- an error that left their medal hopes hanging in the balance. But instead of dwelling on the flubbed back 3 1/2 somersault, Benfeito gathered herself in hopes of still securing a top-three finish. "Theres still another dive left. I know how to do all my dives properly," said 25-year-old. "I think our last dive is our strongest one and I knew if we nailed it we could get on the podium." And nail it they did. Benfeito and Filion produced a textbook back 2 1/2 somersault with 1 1/2 twists to not only get on the podium Wednesday, but win a gold medal that seemed improbable just minutes earlier. "I wasnt expecting to come out of this with a gold," said Benfeito. "I knew that we were still in the hunt for a medal. Gold, I didnt think so, but our last dive is a strong dive and its the reason its our last dive. "We did it pretty well and were happy with the result." Montreals Benfeito and Filion, of Laval, Que., scored a total of 310.65 points, just ahead of Englands Sarah Barrow and Tonia Couch with 307.92. Malaysias Pandelela Rinong Pamg and Nur Dhabitah Sabri took bronze with a score of 300.12. Benfeito and Filion were awarded 76.80 points on their final dive, but the 2012 Olympic bronze medallists could only wait for the leaders final attempts. When Barrow and Couch tallied just 70.08 on the same dive, the Canadians knew they had pulled out the tricky event that was delayed by 35 minutes due to a technical glitch that forced judges to display scores using flip cards. "It was tough for everyone," said Filion. "I knew it was going to be close, but I didnt expect to win at all." The 27-year-old has partnered with Benfeito for more than a decade and said they werent affected by the late start. "We were prepared for all these kinds of problems," said Filion. "Our team manager said in a meeting You never know whats going to happen. Be prepared, be ready. "We could wait the amount of time it took. We were there to compete and dive annd thats what we did.dddddddddddd." Wednesday marked the first of four competition days at the cosy Royal Commonwealth Pool in Edinburgh, about a 75-kilometre drive from Glasgow. Later Wednesday, Lavals Jennifer Abel and Pamela Ware of Beloeil, Que., won silver in the three-metre springboard with a score of 295.65. Englands Alicia Blagg and Rebecca Gallantree won gold, and Australias Maddison Keeney and Anabelle Smith took bronze. The 22-year-old Abel was a bronze medallist in three-metre synchro at the 2012 Olympics with former partner Emilie Heymans, and again at last years world championships with the 21-year-old Ware. Abel won gold in the one- and three-metre individual events -- as well as a silver with Heymans in the three-metre synchro -- at the Commonwealth Games four years ago in New Delhi. Benfeito and Filions come-from-behind victory capped an impressive season for the pair, who finished 2014 with a podium appearance in each of their eight international events. But even with a gold medal hanging around her neck, Benfeito was still kicking herself for her miss on the fourth attempt. "Its a dive that causes me a lot of problems, but its usually good in synchro," she said. "I am disappointed that I missed because we could have won by a lot more, but it happens. "Its in the past. Youve got to move on, youve got to do another really good dive and thats what we did." Benfeito and Filion won silver in 10-metre syncho at last years world championships, and will compete in the individual 10-metre event here as veterans on a young Canadian team that has seen a number of retirements in recent years, including Alexandre Despatie. "Its so weird because we used to be the babies on the team," said Filion. "Its interesting for me because I get to give a little bit of advice, when I used to get all the advice." Added Benfeito: "The transition has been really easy so I think that makes the team even stronger." What the young Canadian divers here in Scotland learned on Wednesday from their now-veteran teammates was simple. "Anything can happen and its definitely not over until the last dive," said Benfeito. "You have to give everything you can until the end." Jerseys Wholesale Stitched Jerseys C heap Authentic Jerseys Wholesale Jerseys Fr ee Shipping ' ' '
lw789

Postprzez » Śr mar 28, 2018 00:46

Powrót do Seriale zagraniczne